Easter Fat Roundup
While the big fat story this week has been talk of lowering the BMI numbers even more so that another new group of people can be called fat and unhealthy, let’s take a look at some other current fat-related news.
- Weight Watchers, which never looks a gift horse (or celebrity shill) in the mouth, allegedly struck a three-million dollar deal with Jessica Simpson in which she will use the program to shed the pounds she gains during her pregnancy. Simpson, who was ridiculed a few years ago for daring to be a size eight, has been criticized again for daring to become big while pregnant.
- The women’s magazine Redbook is currently holding a Wedding Dress Challenge where thirteen women and two men are dieting down to the weight they were on their wedding day. No word on whether Redbook will hold a sequel for the competition when they regain the weight in five years.
- The Fat Girl Flea Market has a new name: Big Fat Flea. The NYC-based event will have men’s clothes this year, hence the name change. It will be held on Sunday, May 13. A word of warning: all proceeds go to NOLOSE, so if you don’t want to give your money to this organization after all the drama that went down with them, skip it.
- Ragen over at Dances With Fat has posted about Citizen’s Medical Center, a hospital in Victoria, Texas that won’t hire employees with a BMI over 35 because they feel they don’t fit the appearance and example of providing quality healthcare to patients. There are links on the thread if you want to contact CMC over this discriminatory practice.
- First Lady Michelle Obama was on The Biggest Loser this week working out with the contestants at The White House, which strengthens arguments that her Let’s Move program to get rid of fat kids is nothing more than state-sanctioned bullying.
Finally, I leave you with a fat-positive image that is especially fitting for this past weekend:
I hope you all had a great Easter, a great Passover, and a great spring weekend!