Skip to content

Marathon Mama

June 4, 2013

Terrific Tuesday Horizontal

The Victoria Goddess Run was Sunday June 2nd and my first 5k. I can guarantee you it wont be my last! Though the day didn’t start off on the right foot, and ended up being reaaally long for unrelated reasons, I can say that it’s so far been the highlight of my summer.

My day felt like it began at about 4am, which is when Kat decided to wake up for the second time in the night for some strange reason. Sleep? What’s sleep? I miss sleep. Thankfully, I managed to get back to bed and get a few more hours before my alarm went off at seven, right around the time Kat decided she needed me again. By eight, part of the marathon route outside my house had a Royal Canadian Mounted Police car and a couple of volunteers in neon yellow vests and cowbells to cheer on the first half-marathon runners who would go by. Gabe was pretty excited and, frankly, I was too. There were over three-and-a-half-thousand runners for various races on Sunday and running right by my house would be the first and the toughest.


Unfortunately, by the time the first runners were going by I was scrambling to get myself ready and out the door; I couldn’t find my running gear anywhere! Eventually it turned up, so we packed ourselves into the Lancer and sped off. I was so nervous about the race that my hands were shaking as I strapped Kat into her car seat, but there were no accidents or delays en route. We left nearly ten minutes late and finding parking anywhere near the starting line was impossible. Like I said, 3,500 Goddesses were running and that’s a lot of cars to park. By the time we finally found a place we were nearly a click (kilometer) from the start (I discovered this later) and I ended up literally running to the beginning of the race, catching my breath for about two minutes and fixing my laces, and then it was time to go! Thankfully Ryan, Gabe and Kat caught up and were there to see me off so after a quick smooch and a prayer to Hermes and Artemis, away I went.


Pentagram laces! (Cool to look at but rubbish for running; they’re too loose!)

At first, the press of bodies was so tight it was difficult to hit my stride, but once it thinned out I did, and I found that I could keep a good pace and just go. The first click went by quickly, and was lined with spectators and a fairly good cheering section. At the first corner I distinctly remember a sign saying “Worst Parade Ever!” and it made me laugh. People cheering you on is the best when you’re running — for a few seconds you forget everything except their smiles and I spent a lot of my running  time smiling. There were a couple of times I slowed down to a brisk walk, but thanks to all the training I’ve done in the last nine weeks through the Couch to 5k program my recovery times were short and I was able to catch up with Gatorade Bottles, The Awesome Argyle Socks Team, Purple Tank Top, and Lady with the Girls’ Rights Are Human Rights shirt. These women were always somewhere around me, but really it felt like every single woman I saw with a number on her shirt was a part of my team.

On our way to the field, we passed a lot of the 10k runners and I honked and waved at them. During my run I would encourage the women around me, especially at the end where, while the route was lined with spectators, they were very quiet. On our walk back up to the car as the last of the 5k runners were coming down the hill, I would clap and cheer them on too. Most of the runners were thin to average-sized, but I did see a few bigger women here and there, especially older women who were walking the course. It definitely wasn’t a diverse group, but I’m hoping in the future that will change.

All in all, I’m really proud of myself; I trained for nine weeks solid with the Couch to 5k program, plus a few weeks before that where I was just sort of doing my own thing. Plus, I finished in the time I was hoping for: 37:28! It’s been a great experience that I plan to repeat and expand on. This marathon has taught me how to push myself, how to be patient, and a lot about determination, not to mention that my body is stronger than I thought. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me along the way! This is only the beginning.

Fat and Not Afraid Sig

8 Comments leave one →
  1. June 4, 2013 11:36 am


  2. June 4, 2013 12:15 pm

    Wooohooo!! Way to Go!!

  3. nof permalink
    June 4, 2013 1:36 pm

    Congrats! I am tempted to try a 5k, but have been intimidated by distance running ever since having to run “The Mile” in gym class. It’s great to hear people’s positive experiences!

    • JeninCanada permalink
      June 4, 2013 10:03 pm

      Nof, if you want to give it a shot, I highly recommend the couch to five km program. It starts you off super easy, with short runs and lots of recovery time between bursts of running.

  4. June 4, 2013 2:34 pm

    Excellent work. It feels so good when you can see (and feel) the results of training paying off. Although running isn’t everyone’s thing (I LOATHE it), you are demonstrating what fat bodies can do. It’s so encouraging and uplifting. Keep up the great work!


  5. June 5, 2013 2:31 am

    Good for you!

  6. Lael permalink
    June 6, 2013 2:58 pm

    Awesome work!

    That sign about parades is hilarious! I’m stealing it ;P

  7. June 6, 2013 6:25 pm

    Congratulations on your first 5k! Excellent job 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: